Individuals Must Report Specified Foreign Financial Assets on New Form 8938 for 2011 Tax Year

Posted on

The IRS released the final Form 8938, Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets, which individuals (“specified persons”) must use to report specified foreign financial assets for 2011. Until the IRS issues future regulations, only individuals, and not specified domestic entities, must file Form 8938.  The 2010 Tax Act provided that individuals with an interest in a “specified foreign financial asset” during the tax year must attach a disclosure statement to their income tax return for any year in which the aggregate value of all such assets is generally greater than $50,000 (or a higher dollar amount as the IRS may prescribe, more detail follows below). “Specified foreign financial assets” are: (1) depository or custodial accounts at foreign financial institutions, and (2) to the extent not held in an account at a financial institution, (a) stocks or securities issued by foreign persons, (b) any other financial instrument or contract held for investment that is issued by or has a counterparty that is not a U.S. person, and (c) any interest in a foreign entity.  The assets that can be included in these categories are wide and far sweeping including such assets as foreign pension plans and foreign deferred compensation plans. 

Reporting Specified Foreign Financial Assets on New Form 8938 for 2011

About the Author

Keiter CPAs is a certified public accounting firm serving the audittax, accounting and consulting needs of businesses and their owners located in Richmond and across Virginia. We focus on serving emerging growth businesses and companies in the financial servicesconstructionreal estatemanufacturingretail & distribution industries and nonprofits. We also provide business valuations and forensic accounting servicesfamily office services, and inbound international services.

More Insights from Keiter CPAs

The information contained within this article is provided for informational purposes only and is current as of the date published. Online readers are advised not to act upon this information without seeking the service of a professional accountant, as this article is not a substitute for obtaining accounting, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.


How Can We Help You and Your Business?

Innsbrook Corporate Center
4401 Dominion Boulevard
Glen Allen, Virginia 23060

804.747.0000 or 804.273.6200