New 1099 Question on Entity Returns

Posted on

Author: Kay Gotshall, CPA

While there has been no change in the requirement of what or when to report, but there has been slight changes and increased disclosures on income tax return filings related to Forms 1099. There are new questions asking specifically if a taxpayer has filed any necessary Forms 1099

 As a best practice, Keiter recommends that if payments were made by your company, the Forms 1099 have been filed. If you need any assistance in determining if a form 1099 is required and/or need assistance in preparing such forms, please contact your Keiter Tax Team. We thought you might find some general information about the more common form 1099s that are required helpful in making a determination. 

 Form 1099-MISC

  •  Every entity must file Form(s) 1099-MISC if, in the course of its trade or business, it makes payments of rents, services, commissions, or other fixed or determinable income totaling $600 or more to any one person during the calendar year and any payments of $600 or more paid to an attorney.  Please note that a Form 1099-MISC is not required to be filed if it meets any of the following exceptions:
  1. Generally, payments made to a corporation
  2. Payments for merchandise, telephone, freight, and similar items
  3. Payments of rent to real estate agents
  4. Wages paid to employees
  5. Military differential wages payments made to employees while they are on active duty in the uniformed services
  6. Business travel allowances paid to employees
  7. Cost of current life insurance protection, payments to tax-exempt trusts
  8. Certain payment card transactions if the payment card organization has assigned a merchant/payee a Merchant Category Code (MCC) indicating that reporting is not required. The exemption from reporting payments made to corporations does not apply to payments for legal services.  Therefore, you must report attorneys’ fees (in box 7) or gross proceeds (in box 14) as described above to corporations that provide legal services.

 Form 1099-INT

  • Unless you are a bank, interest of $600 or more paid in the course of your trade or business is reportable

 Form 1099-DIV

  •  Payments of dividends are reported to non S corporation shareholders.  If you make a payment that may be a dividend but you are unable to determine whether any part of the payment is a dividend by the time you must file Form 1099-DIV, the entire payment must be reported as a dividend. 

Again, please let us know as soon as possible if you need assistance with the 1099 reporting requirements. The forms are required to be provided to the recipient on or before January 31, 2012.   


About the Author

Keiter CPAs is a certified public accounting firm serving the audittax, accounting and consulting needs of businesses and their owners located in Richmond and across Virginia. We focus on serving emerging growth businesses and companies in the financial servicesconstructionreal estatemanufacturingretail & distribution industries and nonprofits. We also provide business valuations and forensic accounting servicesfamily office services, and inbound international services.

More Insights from Keiter CPAs

The information contained within this article is provided for informational purposes only and is current as of the date published. Online readers are advised not to act upon this information without seeking the service of a professional accountant, as this article is not a substitute for obtaining accounting, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.


How Can We Help You and Your Business?

Innsbrook Corporate Center
4401 Dominion Boulevard
Glen Allen, Virginia 23060

804.747.0000 or 804.273.6200