Vacation home owners: Adjusting rental vs. personal use might save taxes

Posted on

With summer drawing to a close, if you own a vacation home that you both rent out and use personally, it is a good time to review the potential tax consequences:

  • If you rent it out for less than 15 days, you do not have to report the income. But expenses associated with the rental will not be deductible.
  • If you rent it out for 15 days or more, you must report the income. But what expenses you can deduct depends on how the home is classified for tax purposes, based on the amount of personal vs. rental use:

Rental property. You can deduct rental expenses, including losses, subject to the real estate activity rules. You can not deduct any interest that is attributable to your personal use of the home, but you can take the personal portion of property tax as an itemized deduction.

Nonrental property. You can deduct rental expenses only to the extent of your rental income. Any excess can be carried forward to offset rental income in future years. You also can take an itemized deduction for the personal portion of both mortgage interest and property taxes.

Look at the use of the home year-to-date to project how it will be classified for tax purposes. Adjusting either the number of days you rent it out or your personal use between now and year end might allow the home to be classified in a more beneficial way.

Source: PDI Global

Image source: Getty Images

About the Author

Keiter CPAs is a certified public accounting firm serving the audittax, accounting and consulting needs of businesses and their owners located in Richmond and across Virginia. We focus on serving emerging growth businesses and companies in the financial servicesconstructionreal estatemanufacturingretail & distribution industries and nonprofits. We also provide business valuations and forensic accounting servicesfamily office services, and inbound international services.

More Insights from Keiter CPAs

The information contained within this article is provided for informational purposes only and is current as of the date published. Online readers are advised not to act upon this information without seeking the service of a professional accountant, as this article is not a substitute for obtaining accounting, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.


How Can We Help You and Your Business?

Innsbrook Corporate Center
4401 Dominion Boulevard
Glen Allen, Virginia 23060

804.747.0000 or 804.273.6200