Do You Need to File a 2012 Gift Tax Return by April 15?

Posted on 03.20.13

Generally, you’ll need to file a gift tax return for 2012 if, during the tax year, you made gifts:

• That exceeded the $13,000-per-recipient gift tax annual exclusion (other than to your U.S. citizen spouse),
• That you wish to split with your spouse to take advantage of your combined $26,000 annual exclusions, or
• Of future interests — such as remainder interests in a trust — regardless of amount.

If you transferred hard-to-value property, consider filing a gift tax return even if you’re not required to. Adequate disclosure of the transfer in a return triggers the statute of limitations, preventing the IRS from challenging your valuation more than three years after you file.
There may be other instances where you’ll need to file a gift tax return — or where you won’t need to file one even though a gift exceeds your annual exclusion. Contact us for details.

Source: PDI Global

The information contained within this article is provided for informational purposes only and is current as of the date published. Online readers are advised not to act upon this information without seeking the service of a professional accountant, as this article is not a substitute for obtaining accounting, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Was this article helpful?

Fill out my online form.