The Revived Research Credit Can Still Reduce Your 2012 Tax Bill

Posted on 04.03.13

For many years, the research credit (also commonly referred to as the “research and development” or “research and experimentation” credit) has provided an incentive for businesses to increase their investments in research. But the credit expired at the end of 2011.

The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 (ATRA) extends the credit to 2012 and 2013. You can use the credit for virtually any research that benefits your business. Wages for researchers, the cost of research supplies and the cost of computer licensing for research purposes are all expenses that may qualify for the credit.

The credit is generally equal to a portion of qualified research expenses. It’s complicated to calculate, but the tax savings can be substantial. If you think you may qualify, please contact us for assistance. There’s still time to claim the credit for 2012.

Source: PDI Global

The information contained within this article is provided for informational purposes only and is current as of the date published. Online readers are advised not to act upon this information without seeking the service of a professional accountant, as this article is not a substitute for obtaining accounting, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.

Was this article helpful?

Fill out my online form.