Use These 3 Social Media Tips to Land Your First Job
Posted on 07.14.17
When it comes to social media and job hunting, there are countless words of advice against using it. Keiter HR Recruiting Specialist, Elizabeth Chenault provided insights to recent and soon-to-be college graduates that debunked multiple social media myths and described how to professionally use social media to your advantage.
- Myth: When job hunting, limit your social media use to as little as possible.
Truth: Social media is a way for people to communicate through a technology based platform on the internet; it is a way for people to connect without having to be in the same place. With the importance of employers and recruiters engaging with candidates, it is recommended that those actively seeking a job opportunity or career change create a presence on social media platforms, such as LinkedIn, to stay on the radar of employers and recruiters.
- Upload your résumé to include all updated credentials and experience
- Join professional networking groups on LinkedIn Groups to network with others in the same field of interest
- Engage with others on forums and posts by asking or answering questions and sharing applicable information
- Myth: Social Media is for personal use only.
Truth: Social media and other networking tools are used for both personal and professional reasons. Recruiters can reach a broad range of candidates more quickly and economically by employing social media networks. A few HR areas that use social media to attract, retain, engage, and connect employees are: recruiting, benefits, employee relations, learning and development, and performance management and compensation.
- Create a bio that includes both a personal and professional summary of your background which showcases you in a dynamic light
- Share your community involvement and other relevant activities that would heighten your skillset and qualifications
- Make sure your profiles are consistent and accurate across the board to guarantee you are shown in an accurate light to recruiters and hiring managers
- Myth: It is impossible to apply to jobs via social media.
Truth: With social media usage increasing in professional settings, it is important to take note of that fact that many businesses and organizations use social media platforms such as Twitter and LinkedIn to engage and reach out to job-seekers they may not be able to traditionally reach. At Keiter, we post jobs on social media platforms such as LinkedIn and Glassdoor to ensure we broaden the candidate pool.
- Follow and like company pages of interest to stay up-to-date with the latest company news and industry trends
- Reach out to recruiters on LinkedIn for information on career opportunities, even if you are not actively seeking a job
- Try other non-traditional job-seeking routes such as looking up hashtags on Twitter for your locality e.g. #RVAJobs
Interested in learning more about Keiter or our career opportunities? Contact us. We would love to speak with you.