2022 R&D Tax Deduction Changes

By Kay F. Gotshall, CPA, Tax Senior Manager

2022 R&D Tax Deduction Changes

For businesses that incur research and development (R&D) costs, there is an important tax change occurring for 2022. Prior to 2022, Section 174(a) allowed a taxpayer to treat research and experimental/development expenditures which are paid or incurred during the taxable year as deductible. There was also an election to capitalize R&D.

Research and Development: Tax Deduction Changes for Businesses

Starting January 1, 2022, taxpayers will no longer be allowed to deduct R&D Section 174 expenses in the year incurred. Businesses will be required to capitalize R&D costs for tax purposes as an intangible asset and amortize over a 5 or 15-year period depending on associated location of where the research was performed. The expenses associated with research conducted in the US will be amortized over a 5-year period as opposed to research outside the US will be amortized over 15-years. No immediate deduction is allowed for retired, abandoned, or disposed property for which specified research or experimental expenditures are paid or incurred, thereby denying basis recovery in the case of retirement, abandonment, or disposal under Sec. 174(d). Amortization will not terminate in the year of abandonment but will continue through the 5 or 15-year period.

Sec. 481(a) Adjustment Changes

This 2022 change will also require taxpayers to change accounting methods and will be applied on a cut-off basis. This means taxpayers will not have a Sec. 481(a) adjustment. A 481(a) adjustment is a one-time catch-up adjustment that is allowed in the current year for missed deductions due to a recomputed calculation of depreciation or repair deductions. The change in method will be treated as initiated by the taxpayer as an automatic change. No additional guidance has been released by the IRS related to filing of Form 3115.

Special Rule for Software Development Expenditures

There is also a special rule for software development starting in 2022. This rule specifies that for purposes of Sec. 174, any amount paid or incurred in connection with the development of software is treated as a “specified research or experimental expenditure.” This eliminates ability to use Rev. Proc. 2000-50 to deduct software development expenditures.

Proposed Deferral on R&D Tax Law Changes

Currently, there is a proposed bill making its way through Congress that can defer all the 2022 changes until after 2026.

Taxpayers with large R&D costs should plan for this change and watch for any final tax bills that would defer or change the current treatment of R&D.

The Keiter Tax Team is closely monitoring this and other proposed tax legislation. We will keep you informed on new and changing regulations to assist you with tax planning and saving strategies.

Questions on how the research and development tax changes may impact your business? Contact your Keiter Opportunity Advisor or Email | Call: 804.747.0000

Share this Insight:

About the Author

Kay F. Gotshall

Kay F. Gotshall, CPA, Tax Senior Manager

Kay serves several of Keiter’s larger corporate clients with their FAS 109 tax provision and returns. Currently, Kay leads the Keiter multi-state tax team, which is primarily responsible for a majority of the multi-state tax filings prepared by the firm. In addition, the Keiter multi-state tax team provides income, as well as, sales and use audit and research support services. Kay works on a wide variety of industries, since most of her clients are multi-state. Some of the specific industries she serves include services, broker-dealers, manufacturing, and construction. Furthermore she consults with a variety of clients on filing requirements for multi states and foreign company ownership and operations.

More Insights from Kay F. Gotshall

The information contained within this article is provided for informational purposes only and is current as of the date published. Online readers are advised not to act upon this information without seeking the service of a professional accountant, as this article is not a substitute for obtaining accounting, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant.


Contact Us