Has your business experienced a financial fraud?
A financial fraud can be disastrous for a business if you do not act quickly to prevent further fraud and to recover assets. If you suspect that a fraud has occurred, you should hire a consultant who possesses the expertise and experience to assist you in planning and conducting the financial investigation.
Valuation and Forensic Services Department
Our Valuation and Forensic Services Department specializes in providing financial investigation services including assisting with discovery and obtaining evidence, performing computer forensic analysis, tracing of funds and assets, determining how a theft was perpetrated and concealed, assessing internal controls, preparing expert reports, and providing expert witness testimony.
Our Valuation and Forensic Services Department is now in its 24th year and one of the largest practices in Virginia dedicated to providing these specialized services. Members of our team are certified by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants as Certified Public Accountants and Certified in Financial Forensics, and by the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners as Certified Fraud Examiners.
We have served as U.S. District Court-appointed forensic accountants on cases in which we collaborated with the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. We have also been appointed by the U.S. Office of the Federal Public Defender as a consultant on two major fraud cases.
Representative Financial Investigations
We have served as consultants and/or experts on many very high profile and complex forensic accounting projects.
- United States Securities and Exchange Commission v. Terry L. Dowdell, et al., S. District Court, Western District of Virginia, Charlottesville Division, Civil Action No. 3:01CV00116. Appointed by The Honorable Harry Michael, U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia, Charlottesville Division, as a forensic accountant for the Dowdell Receivership in connection with a SEC investigation of the Vavasseur Ponzi scheme involving over $70 million.
- United States Securities and Exchange Commission v. International Fiduciary Corp. S.A., et al., S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, Alexandria Division, Case No. 1:06cv01354-GBL. Appointed by The Honorable Gerald Bruce Lee, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, Alexandria Division, as a forensic accountant for the International Fiduciary Corp. Receivership in connection with and SEC investigation of a Ponzi scheme involving $18.2 million.
- United States v. James Ashby Moncure, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, Richmond Division, Civil Action No. 3:14-CR-137. Appointed by the U.S. Office of the Federal Public Defender as a consultant to assist with their representation of a defendant engaged in wire fraud, mail fraud and unlawful monetary transactions involving $9 million.
- United States of America v. Edward Hugh Okun, et al., U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, Richmond Division, Case No. Cr. 3:08CR132. Appointed by the U.S. Office of the Federal Public Defender as a consultant to assist with their representation of a defendant allegedly engaged in wire and mail fraud conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy, and bulk cash smuggling involving $126 million.
Financial Investigation Services
- Planning the investigation
- Assisting with discovery and obtaining evidence (including interviewing witnesses, analysis of documents, and searching of public records)
- Performing computer forensic analysis to identify questionable transactions and recover documents
- Determining how a theft was perpetrated
- Determining how a theft was concealed
- Determining how assets were converted and tracing asset disposition
- Quantifying damages
- Preparing of demonstrative exhibits for trial
- Preparing expert reports
- Presenting expert witness testimony
- Assisting with insurance claims
- Identifying potential assets for recovery
- Assisting with determining required restatements to financial statements and tax reporting issues
- Developing recommendations for improvement of internal controls
Types of Financial Investigations
- Employee embezzlement
- Management fraud
- Investment scams
- Vendor fraud
- Customer fraud