At Keiter, we view the opinions and active participation of all team members as important to the Firm and direction of their career. We believe that this is the foundation of diversity and inclusion—respecting, valuing, and including everyone’s diverse backgrounds as our steps forward. We understand that true Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is a continuous process and we are striving to improve our efforts in this area. In 2019, we developed a three year DEI plan to support a more inclusive and diverse workplace that includes:
- Formalizing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives into our Firm strategic plan
- Forming an internal DEI Resource Group
- Recruiting from local Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs)
- Enhancing team diversity training with annual DEI training for all employees provided by the Virginia Center for Inclusive Communities including Unconscious Bias and Diversity in Recruitment
- Supporting diversity initiatives in our business community through active sponsorship of the VSCPA D&I Award and industry related women’s events and programs
- Community Outreach and Education involving monthly awareness campaigns, and giving more company business to women and minority owned businesses.
- Continuing support of diversity initiatives at Virginia colleges, including sponsorship of VCU’s National Association of Black Accountants (NABA) scholarship and Virginia Tech’s Pamplin College of Business diversity programs
- Continuing membership in Equality Means Business, which supports Virginia’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender community
In 2020, Gary Wallace, Managing Partner, joined CEO Action for Diversity & Inclusion™, the largest CEO-driven business commitment to advance diversity and inclusion within the workplace.
By joining this pledge, we continue the Firm’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. CEO Action also provides a place for companies to share effective programs and measurement practices – which allows Keiter to not only track our own progress, but also gain access to programs that are working at other similar companies across the nation. Through the sharing and learning with each other, we can strengthen our existing programs and commitments to better serve our employees and society.