Are you involved in a legal dispute involving your business?
If you are involved in a legal dispute involving your business, you may require a financial consultant or expert to assist in determining economic damages.
Our Valuation and Forensic Services Practice specializes in assisting attorneys and their clients with complex disputes, including litigation consulting and expert witness services for commercial disputes and divorce, and financial advisory services for reorganization and bankruptcy.
- Breach of contract
- Business interruption
- Intellectual property infringement (trade secrets, patents, copyrights, and trademarks)
- Post acquisition disputes
- Professional malpractice
- Shareholder disputes
- Tortious interference
- Wrongful death
- Wrongful termination
Litigation and Expert Witness Services
- Development of strategy
- Analyzing industries and markets
- Evaluating liability issues
- Assisting with discovery
- Developing alternative damages theories
- Quantifying economic damages (e.g., lost profits, unjust enrichment, reasonably royalty, diminution of value)
- Analyzing opposing experts damages models
- Preparing demonstrative exhibits for trial
- Preparing expert reports
- Presenting expert witness testimony
- Value of an interest in a business for purposes of equitable distribution
- Classification of separate and marital property (including personal and entity goodwill)
- Assessment of income for spousal/child support
Valuation and Forensic Services Team
Our Valuation and Forensic Services Practice is now in its 25th year and one of the largest practices in Virginia dedicated to providing these specialized services. Members of our team are certified by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants as Certified Public Accountants and Certified in Financial Forensics, and by the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners as Certified Fraud Examiners.
Leadership in the Valuation and Forensic Services Profession
Members of our team have qualified as expert witnesses in U.S. District Court, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, and 19 circuit courts in four states, as well as before the American Arbitration Association and the National Association of Securities Dealers. We have also been named as experts in disputes subject to the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
We have served as U.S. District Court-appointed forensic accountants, consultants for the U.S. Office of the Federal Public Defender, and court-appointed neutral business appraisers. We have also been retained by the U.S. Department of Justice as a consultant in a litigation in the U.S. District Court.
Harold Martin, the Partner-in-Charge of our Valuation and Forensic Services Practice, has been admitted to the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Foundation Forensic and Business Valuation Division. This is an invitation only organization of forensic and business valuation professionals of known repute and integrity and unquestionable professionalism, who have contributed to the development and improvement of the practice of matrimonial law and, in so doing, have worked closely with Fellows of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers in the practice of their valuation and forensic accounting professions.
Representative Law Firm Clients
Representative Litigation Projects