Estate Planning and Administration
Protect Your Legacy
At Keiter our experienced and dedicated professionals can help you with all aspects of the estate planning, administration, and compliance process.
From modest to multi-million dollar estates, we can help you navigate the complex rules, regulations, and sometimes overwhelming processes in this highly specialized area of taxation.
Our team is focused on helping you get your financial affairs in order and devise a wealth transfer strategy that not only preserves, but maximizes family wealth. The planning should facilitate the orderly transfer of your assets to your loved ones as desired, as efficiently and painlessly as possible. Estate planning is not just about having a will and a trust, although they are an important element. We believe in a coordinated approach with your other advisors to consider all aspects of your family and its finances, not just the tax aspects.
Estate Plan Review
With all the changes in the estate tax laws over the last several years and more changes on the horizon, an estate plan checkup is highly recommended. More specifically, with the previous changes in the estate and GST exemption, your documents may no longer reflect how you want your assets divided amongst your loved ones. Our work does not stop once the plan is determined, but continues as we work with you to implement and continually evaluate and update such planning.
Estate Administration & Compliance
Upon the loss of a loved one, we can help you navigate the probate administration process, post mortem planning, distribution planning, and all required tax filings.
Throughout the entire process, we work closely with our clients, their attorneys, financial advisors, insurance agents, and others to help our clients with all aspects of managing and transferring their wealth. An experienced and knowledgeable CPA throughout the process can assist with minimizing tax consequences. Our team offers the following services:
- Review of current estate documents
- Valuation of existing businesses
- Valuation discount planning
- Business succession planning
- Distribution, liquidity planning, and need for life insurance
- Integrating charitable goals into your estate plan
- Gift Planning
- Taking advantage of current estate and gift tax exclusions
- Accounting planning services after the loss of a loved one
- Disclaimers and post-mortem planning
- Probate and trust administration
- Tax and probate filings:
- Estate Tax Returns (Form 706) and related state filings, as well as filing for portability upon the first spouse to die
- Consistent Basis Reporting (Form 8971)
- Gift Tax Returns and adequate disclosure (Form 709)
- Fiduciary Income Tax Returns (Form 1041)
- Split Interest Trusts (Form 5227)
- Special elections related to trusts and estates
- Probate Inventory
- Probate and Trust Court Accountings