2018 Another Optimistic Year for U.S. Manufacturers
Posted on 01.11.18
With a 75% increase in participation in the second year of reporting, the 2018 National Manufacturing Outlook and Insights Survey proves its value to U.S. manufacturers containing the expectations and opinions of manufacturing executives from across the country producing a wide variety of products including industrial/machining, transportation/automotive, construction, food and beverage, and other products. The results of this survey include 2018 top priorities, opportunities and challenges, operational focus and growth strategies.
Results from the survey include:
- 81% of manufacturers believe their revenue will increase in 2018, with 72% eyeing organic growth in the U.S. as their primary opportunity to increase sales.
- Manufacturers are more optimistic about the regional and national economy than the global economy, yet notably the optimism rating for all three has increased by more than 10 points since the 2017 outlook.
- 62% of manufacturers expect their sectors to grow, more than doubling the 2017 outlook; food and beverage and construction materials cite the highest optimism for sector growth.
- Manufacturers’ top three priorities are growing sales, cutting costs, and addressing the talent gap.
- As in past years, labor remains a significant challenge. More than half of survey participants cited the labor shortage as the greatest risk or barrier to growth, and more than half of manufacturers expect to increase hiring.
- Respondents plan to utilize technology to reduce risks and build a competitive advantage; 75% said that they will investigate/prioritize cybersecurity in 2018, and 50% will investigate/prioritize Big Data/ERP/IoT.
Read full survey: 2018 U.S. Manufacturing Outlook Survey
For more accounting news and insights related to the Manufacturing industry, view our blog.
Keiter was founded in 1978 and provides a full range of financial services to entrepreneurial minded businesses and their owners. Keiter has over 160 employees and is the largest, local independent accounting firm in Richmond. Keiter has developed specialized expertise in serving the manufacturing, real estate, construction, and financial services industries, as well as not-for-profit entities. Our manufacturing industry team partners with over 50 local and national manufacturing clients to provide accounting insights and opportunities specific to their industry. For more information Keiter, please visit our website. www.keitercpa.com
About LEA Global
Founded in 1999, LEA Global is the second largest international association in the world, creating a high-quality alliance of 226 firms focused on accounting, financial and business advisory services. LEA Global firms operate in 110 countries, giving clients of LEA Global firms access to the knowledge, skills and experience of over 2,313 experts and nearly 21,355 staff members.